Sunday, October 23, 2011

 

Going hyper local will gain visitors




By Raul Garcia Jr. / Oct. 23, 2011 
My reporting has been very good and I know people are reading it but I am not gaining a following on the Internet. For the most part my blog where I have been posting my news information has been very idle. It peaked in April and has steadily been loosing traffic going into November.

My post in week three proved to have lot news information that was published in newsprint.  The Valleywood Magazine had some very good new reports that deserve follow-ups and even investigations into the stories. All that have steamed from my blog where each of the reports have multimedia and video presention.

The Weslaco School district school board has been working on a resolution to reset its regular school board elections from May to November.  A Senate Bill offered the change to school districts and municipalities but what the change would do is extend the school board members terms, which would void the upcoming election in May—giving the electorate an election moratorium for school board elections until 2014. Even though I didn’t get any feed back on the story there is so much more to look into.  And there is information that is still out there that deserves to be reported to the voters of the City of Weslaco.

Mercedes City Commissioner Dianna Tovar is in her second term. In late September at the City’s last city council meeting for the month she read a resignation letter and wished the City of Mercedes all the best. She then walked out on the council and the voters that had elected her as their voice. A lot of tension had built up from issues the council  had been dealing with that could have moved her to want to quit. One particular issues was the Wally Prado War Memorial. Tovar had been working for the city to bring the city a monument commerating the city’s son that won a Silver Star in the Vietnam War. The Wally Prado issue has caused a lot dissent in the community as from wanting to have a street named after him in his honor to and commissioning an eight-foot statue saluting his glory.

My report got good review but what readers really liked was the satire cartoon of Tovar and Mercedes Mayor Henry Hinojosa on Tovar resigning and then deciding not to leave the council. Tons of people read the story in new print told me how much they enjoyed the cartoon and told me so many times.

Google Analytics has showed that my website is not gaining a good following.  I benched marked he site and showed that it had peaked with more that 10 viewers in April through August. The site has dwindled throughout the end of September and October. I feel that the only thing that can help gain visitors to my site is producing news content consistently with hyper local news covering business and politics and community life and entertainment at a faster pace with multimedia content.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]